TECHNET Archives

April 2002

Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:41:29 +0800
Hi, All,

Although punching via holes for BGA's right through a board can lead to
that nice sagging effect by considerably weakening the BGA area, using
blind vias leaves you without anywhere to probe when doing diagnostics and
trouble shooting. How do other hi-rel guys and gals get round the test
probing issue if using blind vias? ICT boundary scanning? Is that good
enough, or does it require some very slick DFT?

I guess with BGA packages getting ever smaller, there's no room for offset
vias in some applications, so v-i-p is the only option. For hi-rel boards,
I would silver epoxy fill them, plate over them and mount BGA's as normal.
I wouldn't advocate tenting of any kind for hi-rel applications because of
what can be trapped inside.

Peter

                    fullname
                    <[log in to unmask]        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    ORG.SG>              cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    Sent by:             Aero/ST Group)
                    TechNet              Subject:     Re: [TN] Vias in pads

                    04/05/02
                    07:58 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "TechNet
                    E-Mail
                    Forum.";
                    Please
                    respond to
                    fullname

I personally believe that blind v-i-p is a good technique especially for
BGA as it free up the channel
for routing. Through v-i-p no matter which package you used will still wick
off the solder from your
joint, that is obvious..

It is also obvious that as board get denser each day, micro via will be
used and so will it be blind.
Much has been discussed about micro via, blind via, especially via in pads.
It is a matter of how we
become more innovative to combine the technique and process to make it
better.

I have always wonder whether someone have actually do a study to look into
the correlation between the
volume of solder paste, various blind via diameter and the type of blind
via (Type 1 & II HDI), etc. I
am sure from such study, the process engineer would able to advise should
v-i-p be used, with the voulme
of solder paste can be determine - leading to a good and reliable solder
joint, etc.

Is that my fancy idea or in actual fact work have been done? If the latter
is yes, I would appreciate
you can share it with me.

Just my 1 cent worth.
Regards - Wee Mei

"Maddox, Allen T" wrote:

> Like I said before, we're going through this now. It seems that the EMI
> gurus are preaching to Engineers to put the via in the pad. This is
> something that we, as designers, are going to have to figure out how to
deal
> with. It's a challenge and goes against everything I've learned over the
> years But, if the board doesn't work it doesn't make a difference how
> manufacturable it is. There has got to be a way to make everybody happy.
Do
> we have to go to blind micro Vias?
>
> Allen M.

PCB
> and would take a bunch of extra print strokes to fil the via, then the
> stencil won't gasket and would probably be damaged when printing second
> side, damage by squeege blades.  I like the prevailing opinion: REDESIGN.
>
> Mark

SET Technet NOMAIL
> Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org > On-Line Resources & Databases
> E-mail Archives
> Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for
additional

To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]:
SET Technet NOMAIL
E-mail Archives

[This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you.]