TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
"Misner, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:32:18 -0700
Mark,

Rudy and George gave you excellent information on the plating processes.
I'll focus more on application.  All the Au plating processes will yield a
smooth enough finish for fine pitch soldering, however, Immersion best
guarantees complete oxide protection of the Nickel, which is actually what
you're soldering to, AND minimizing the amount of Au that will be dissolved
into the solder joint.  This removes concern about Au embrittlement of the
solder joint. Add the stability/repeatability of the Immersion process and
there you go.

Soft Au is typically specified for Au wire bonding applications and is not
associated with the Immersion process which is too thin for Au wire bonding
(but Immersion Au can be suitable for Al wire bonding).

Regards,
Bruce Misner