TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
"Sauer, Steven T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:48:37 -0500
Wee Mei,
It depends on your contract(s) and customer requirements, but I'll attempt
to answer each question:

1. What then is classified as "standard" and what is "non-standard"?
        - an example of a "non-standard" repair would be to drill a hole in
the circuit board in order to route a jumper wire from one side of the board
to the other.  In a nutshell, it depends on the skill level required to
perform the repair and the risk associated with meeting the performance and
reliability indices of the hardware.

2. Who is the Material Review Board (MRB)?
        - reference MIL-STD-1520 Corrective Action and Disposition System
for Nonconforming Material --> consists of representatives of the
disciplines necessary to review, evaluate, determine or recommend
disposition of nonconforming material.  Usually these are folks from
quality, manufacturing, design engineering and reliability as a minimum.

3. Since MIL-C-28809 no longer exist, are we allow to or can we develop an
in-house workmanship, making
referral to an aboselete standard?
        - you have always been able to develop your own in-house standards,
no mil spec or std forbade this along as the in-house document was in
compliance with the minimum contract requirements.  I would steer away from
these types of actions simply due to costs associated with documentation
development and maintenance.  IPC-A-610 should suffice but you may want to
supplement if you have some differing product/process requirements (and you
have data to prove that these do not negatively affect long term
reliability).

Let me know if this does not answer your questions.

Steve Sauer