TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
"Marsico, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:09:33 -0400
If I understand correctly, you deposit solder paste under the component
during the initial build.  After reflow, the paste solidifies and makes
contact with the bottom of the component for heat transfer.  Your question
is what to do when replacing the component.  How do you replace the solder
bumps under the device.

Is the body of the component ceramic or metal?  If ceramic, when you remove
the devise the solder bumps should remain intact, nice and flat.  Why not
leave these bumps as is and place the component, contacting the existing
bumps while soldering?  If the case is metal, and you disturb the bumps
during removal, how about reapplying solder paste, placing the component and
reflowing it with a hot air terminal?  Another option is to change the
drawing to allow the use of a thermal adhesive for rework.

Jim Marsico
Senior Engineer
Production Engineering
EDO Electronics Systems Group