TECHNET Archives

April 2002

Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:26:24 +0800
Can't offer an answer, Danny, but may add a bit more fuel to your fire.
I've just had a board returned to me by the Test Engineer, who found two
X7R 0805 caps "missing". By "missing", I mean that the solder joints and
the component end caps were still there, but the ceramic centre portion had
disappeared.

One of several possible suspects that immediately sprang to mind, was this:
There appears to be more solder in the solder joint than is strictly
acceptable, though this board is a development model. I wondered if the
large amount of solder, while contracting when cooling, was pulling the
ends of the caps, allowing the middles to fall out. Anyone got any thoughts
or experiences about this? I have a couple of not-terribly-good pictures I
can show you, if they might help to focus thoughts.

Peter

[log in to unmask]     24/04/2002 12:10 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to danny.harkins