TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:48:30 +0300
In Cyprus, we say Pounds and Cents (not Cent). However our 2 cents worth
is a lot more than either the US or Euro 2 cents worth, = 3.09 US cents
or 3.54 Euro cents: doesn't make much cents, does it? :-) In the UK,
when one feels a pressing need to relieve the hydrostatic pressure, one
sometimes uses the expression, "I must spend a penny.". The origin of
this was that, before decimalisation, public toilets had a penny in the
slot lock on the door. If the UK joins the common European currency,
does this mean that the expression will change to, "I must Euronate."?
:-) (Sorry to go off topic, but I couldn't resist it!)

Brian