TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:15:23 -0500
Hi TechNet! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions you
generated concerning my cracking resistor question. And here is "the rest
of the story"! I was able to successfully solder the chip resistors using a
reflow solder process. I am guessing the problem was a solder
process/material incompatibility. The flexural strength of the three
materials is Al2O3 = 80 ksi, BeO = 30 ksi, AlN = 50 ksi (sorry Steve - I am
metrically impaired so I switched everything to ksi!) covering a pretty
wide range. The reflow soldering process allowed both terminations to
"float" in a uniform manner when the solder solidified thus creating a much
more uniform stress impact on the resistor. The hand soldering operation
was most likely putting a larger stress on the resistor due to the
independent solidification of the terminations. We are also going to try
Vapor Phase soldering to see if we can repeat our success. Thanks again for
the assist!

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]> on 04/16/2002 11:44:09 AM