TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:14:18 +0100
Sorry Eric, I'm afraid that I can't answer your specific questions, as I am
not very experienced on the assembly side of the operation (last did
assembly in 1986 when it was still all through hole). What I do know is that
the modern OSPs are capable of withstanding up to 6 heat cycles, ie you can
glue cure, wave solder, paste reflow and handsolder without losing
solderability. I don't know what the cleaning process in between will do -
you would have to ask the OSP supplier like Cookson for compatibility -
Entec 106A is a Cookson product that they support from all angles - OSP
chemistry, paste, flux, cleaners etc.
I was involved with surface finishes a number of years ago, and found the
ignorance in some (assembly) companies astounding, whilst others fully
understood what they were dealing with.
One OEM company wanted to do accelerated ageing by using steam ageing - a
technique developed to artificially age reflowed tin lead, but pounced on as
the 'be all and end all' method for ALL surface finishes. Not surprisingly,
it failed miserably and the company dismissed OSP as an alternative. After
much persuasion they tried again, and 8 weeks after supplying product to
them, they told me that OSP had failed due to its inability to solder after
the first side. What they didn't tell me, at first, was that they tried to
solder side 2 four weeks after side 1, because this simulated what happened
in their production. Sad to say they have now closed that factory, losing
over 1000 jobs, and all their work is now manufactured by CEMs somewhere in
the far east. I think the inability to understand the basics of JIT
contributed to this greatly.
On the positive side, I worked closely with a (very) major telecomms
company, who saw the benefits of OSP and worked on the basis of never put a
board into assembly unless it can be SHIPPED within 24 hours. They are still
a very successful Telecomm company despite the worldwide downturn.
I have read all the other mails responding to my plea, and I think that the
general message is that surface finish should be related to need and data,
not fashion and opinion.
I would also like to answer Dave Hillman's point
 -> 'Field repair - OSPs don't provide the long term solderability on pwa's
which have been in the field for a number of years which sometimes are
subjected to upgrades/changes. It is typically an uphill struggle to have
good solderability for HASL for servicing an assembly which has been in the
field for 5-10 years anyway and OSPs just give up the ghost way to early in
comparison to metallic surface finishes.'
I don't understand this issue as all the solder joints on an assembly were
made at the time the board was first soldered, any surface finish on the raw
card has been incorporated into the solder joint or disappeared through
volatisation at the point of soldering. Surely any rework soldering will be
on a solder joint, not on an ancient surface finish? However, I am glad to
hear that Rockwell use OSP as one of their finishes, on the basis of the
right finish for the right reason.
Rich Fudalewski (and Bob Furrow) stated: 'The other area where OSP can fail
is with via in pad (VIP) product. If there is any residue remaining in the
holes it will cause a degradation of the OSP coating. determine to not be
the OSP process at fault, but rather things like unseen soldermask residues
or incomplete removal of the tin etch resist. Doug, this seems to be a
problem with your board manufactures control of the process.'
I couldn't agree more with this, and have seen even worse issues with
immersion tin, where the thiourea emerges from the VIP during the first side
reflow. I have seen issues with immersion silver where the undercut of the
soldermask traps residues that corrode the finish, and problems with ENIG
where nickel foot has almost shorted between pads. I return to my original
point - only OSP is reworkable in these situations. All of the other
finishes will end up with scrapping the raw card rather than rework, and
even though companies go bust if they cannot control their processes, scrap
is always paid for by us the end customers somewhere down the line (even if
its to pay higher national insurance or tax to cover the unemployment
benefit of those who lost their jobs).

I hope not to have preached too much, and that Rich F has his faith restored
that Fab people do respond ! I am glad to have rekindled some interest
anyway!
Dougal Stewart

email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: +44 1896 822204