TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Daniel Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:51:11 +0800
Hi Brian,
I'm not a British or American, but the discussion here is quite funny.
I would like to have a copy of doc you mentioned.
Would you please send me one?
Thanks!
Daniel

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/18/02 04:53pm >>>
Well, if we are going to have an Atlantic war, I received just today a
doc called "If you are a Brit in the USA, you might be going native if
...." This is 11 pages long, so I won't post it here, but I'll e-mail it
off list to anyone who requests it. The headings are Language; Politics;
Media; Going Home; Assimilating the Culture and Customs; Work and
Shopping and Eating Out. A few samples:
...You call shops "stores"
...You stop asking for rubbers when you want an eraser
...Trunk and hood come to mind rather than boot and bonnet
...You embrace racial politics as the national pastime
...The first section in the Sunday newspapers is the funnies
...You order a Martini in the UK and then have to ask them to add gin
...You flinch when you hear American buzzwords mispronounced on British
radio shows
...You buy a handgun
...You have bought a Websters Dictionary and the OED is gathering dust
...You have given up using irony on anyone without a college education
...You actually try and sing the Star Spangled Banner
...You now regard the UK as being part of Europe
...You get annoyed when a store closes before 9 pm
...You ask for Diet 7UP
...You don't wait for the sun to shine to eat ice cream
...You buy HUGE bottles of gin

Brian