TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:37:52 -0500
Hi Doug! OSP is a wonderful surface finish in many situations but there are
some use applications where the other finish alternatives have an
advantage:

1) Field repair - OSPs don't provide the long term solderability on pwa's
which have been in the field for a number of years which sometimes are
subjected to upgrades/changes. It is typically an uphill struggle to have
good solderability for HASL for servicing an assembly which has been in the
field for 5-10 years anyway and OSPs just give up the ghost way to early in
comparison to metallic surface finishes.

2) Multiple thermal excursion processes - it is not uncommon on some
complicated assemblies to have 2 reflow excursions (top/bottom), an odd
form component attach excursion, an adhesive cure excursion, and possibly a
repair excursion. Add in a couple of cleaning steps and you really push an
OSP to the limit.

OSPs have a definite place in electronics assembly  - I just look at them
as one "tool" in our toolbox of surface finishes for the different
soldering processes used in the industry. We use OSPs at Rockwell Collins
but in very specific applications/designs. We are also using Immersion
silver, Immersion tin, and ENIG very successfully as well.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>@ipc.org> on 04/18/2002
04:56:52 AM

Please respond to Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:    TechNet <[log in to unmask]>