TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:27:23 -0500
Yes, I agree, and I have a confession to make as well...

I asked an IPC dude (Gary) about the difference between the
registered pattern dimensions and the calculated results,
and he said the calculator was in the process of a significant
re-design, but then I never heard anything about it since then.
(Does anyone know if there is a newer version on the way?
or is that what we are using now?)

The confession is, sometimes I am lazy and just look it up
in my SMTplus library, since they have every SMT part under
the sun. (my original post said "If I was starting OVER again")

After being frustrated by seeing 4-5 "suggested" patterns
for the same darn part from every vendor and data sheet,
I still maintain it is preferable to START with a standard.
As for your statement about "permutations in board design,
materials, assembly processes, component package styles,
materials and contents, operating conditions..."
well, this getting into the area where your knowledge and
experience is leading you towards a modification, which is
GREAT!, All I say is DOCUMENT THE REASON so the next bozo
to come along won't change it and lose all the benefit of
your work.

And I still stick by my statement that if you DON'T know
what you are doing, USE A STANDARD, don't use a component
data sheet.

Jack

16Apr2002 08:02 PM