TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:34:38 -0500
Hi Mike,

While I agree with you in general about the reactivity of aluminum, in
specific cases it can be used successfully.  One obvious example is aluminum
sheet metal cases housing circuit boards.  It is necessary to maintain
electrical continuity from panel-to-panel and from panel to earth ground
(third wire) if you need to comply with IEC60950 and many other standards.
I have commonly used anodized or anodized and painted aluminum parts on
cases, and the anodizing is a nearly ideal insulator.  To solve this
problem, we use star washers under the screw heads and the nuts are
self-broaching fasteners pressed in from behind.  The ground wire terminal
is fastened with a nut onto a self-broaching stud pressed into the aluminum
chassis.  I've seen some very old equipment come in from the field (chemical
laboratory environment) very grungy but without corrosion and still having
continuity.

My impression is that when you compress the star washer with enough force,
the projections on the washer that pierce the thin anodized layer form a
gas-tight connection to the aluminum substrate and therefore do not oxidize
or corrode.  Yes, the fasteners and their finishes have to be compatible for
the environment, but this approach has been successful for many years.

Similarly, it is possible to fasten a PCB to an aluminum standoff with a
stainless steel screw, with or without a star washer.  The screw threads
break through the anodized coating inside the threaded aluminum fastener and
the screw head makes good contact with the top side of the PCB.  UL does not
accept this as a primary ground connection, though this has nothing to do
with corrosion.  Since the aluminum spacer contacts the tin/lead (or tin)
coated pad on the bottom side of the board, I would be very careful to not
let anything get at that joint.  Personally, I prefer to use steel standoffs
when possible.  My first choice is a self-broaching threaded standoff
pressed directly into the aluminum chassis.  These are available with closed
bottoms (blind threaded) to avoid liquid ingress.  Obviously, these must be
pressed in after anodizing and before painting.

Hope this has been of some help.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC