TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Rob Legg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:16:03 -0400
The adoption of guidelines as specifications always has ambivalent results.
With the military abandoning the costs of maintaining their own internal
standards, it would be unfortunate if this results in North American
commercial design initiatives being hobbled critically.

The history of technical design standardization is one of repeated attempts
to automate the process. The idea, supposedly, is that you can remove the
human tendency for error. Ideally, all you really need to produce every
widget on earth is one engineer and a lot of machines, both no doubt
polished by hordes of well-trained, inexpensive, technical acolytes.

 Unfortunately, a surprisingly hefty chunk of invention and innovation is
prompted by just that human element; the smaller errors that may result and
their intelligent 'handling'. When extensively standardized, the tendency to
produce small random errors is not lost; instead it becomes systemic. This
can
generate potentially non-recoverable situations on a wide scale (e.g. the
atrophy of an entire industrial sector).

Let's not encourage anyone to turn guidelines into specifications, without a
good reason. You can always honestly say that you're following guidelines,
as guidelines, and still find out ways of getting more bang for the buck,
when it's possible.

Rob Legg