TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:29:02 -0500
Jeff,

Appreciate you time, input, and empathy. This story certainly is not new but
keeps getting more interesting and complex with time.

I'm held accountable by my CM's if the solder joints do not meet IPC
requirements. Ok, but I'm not able to directly correlate design guidelines
with acceptance criteria in IPC requirement - not guidelines especially now
that DoD has adopted and, essentially, validated the specifications - not
guidelines.

Werner serves as chair on three committees and co chair on some more, I
guess. The committees are composed of leaders in our industry putting forth
great stuff as I said before concerning design for reliability.

Component suppliers make up their rules as well. All I'm saying is there is
a gap and it seems to be getting wider especially for one or two man/woman
design teams tempted to go whichever way the wind blows whem enticed on a
particlular day.

Granted, there is much "slop" for forgiving designs, and the boards,
components, and assemblies representing them. However, with things going in
the obvious direction, as smaller/denser, something needs more attention and
less emotion as your greatly accepted empathy. Still, for my young design
team, I'm going all the way with IPC until proven wrong, or not.

Earl