TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
David Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:25:43 -0700
For those who build for the DoD a new House Bill  H. R. 3597 (See
below!)

To get a copy of the info described below go to:
http://www.geia.org/sstc/G12/mtg110/hr3597.html

Is the IPC going to take a position on this one?

I personally think that even this sort of control Is possible it will
cost a "whole truck load" of money.

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC

=======================================

Subject: H. R. 3597 To prohibit the Secretary of Defense from purchasing
equipment containing electronic components that are not manufactured in
the
United States

I just received information concerning a proposed bill in the House of
Representatives that has serious implications for the DoD weapon system
industry.
HR3597 [25k pdf] proposes "To prohibit the Secretary of Defense from
purchasing equipment containing electronic components that are not
manufactured in
the United States."

Many seem to be under the impression that this will only impact DoD
systems using commercial components. I put together the attached summary
that includes a slide identifying all of the QML manufacturers for
monolithic & hybrid ICs and semiconductors with off shore facilities and
a listing of off-shore facility locations. Though commercial and
industrial grade parts are a much greater concern (most with fab &
assembly off shore), this "short list" of mil-certified lines helps to
illustrate the point. When you scan this list, you will quickly see the
impact this bill will have on DoD weapon system readiness, the Defense
Electronics Industry, and the semiconductor industry supplying these
products.

hr3597_impact.pdf [110k pdf]

       updated 4/5/02 to include offshore QML facility details
       updated 4/4/02 to include SIA statistics and fab directory info)

I believe we should elevate this (despite how ridiculous this proposal
is)

Henry C. Livingston
Manager, Component Engineering
BAE SYSTEMS
Information and Electronic Warfare Systems
P.O. Box 868, NCA01-2247
95 Canal Street
Nashua, NH 03061-0868
Voice: (603) 885-2360