DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 00:31:38 -0400
From:
Jay DeKing <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
Our company, one of the biggies - which shall remain nameless (which is why
I'm sending this from home) - switched over from Board Station with LMS to
Viewdraw, DxDatabook and PowerPCB a year ago. They foolishly believed the
salesman. I was not hired until after the deal had been made, otherwise I
would have warned them that PowerPCB was not up to the task; not that they
would have believed a mere CAD monkey over a salesman. I've used and
supported PADS in the past while working for another VAR, so I had some
insight into its abilities and shortcomings. Viewdraw and DxDatabook have
something going for them but PowerPCB is a mom & pop shop tool.

Sure enough, they are kicking themselves now, because they let the
maintenance lapse on their Mentor tools and PowerPCB is not in any way
suited to our needs, but we are stuck with it. It matters little that
DxDesigner and DxDatabook are good tools - we need to get boards out as well.

It is my sincere hope that Mentor Graphics will do something good with the
board layout end of Innoveda's group. It certainly needs the help, in my
opinion.

Jay D.