TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
"Jindra, Larry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:19:24 -0800
True, I was talking about appearance of the BGAs prior to mounting.

We just did a blind installation test with the same packages from an earlier lot that did not exhibit "wrinkles."   The result show a significantly greater voiding joints from the "wrinkled" BGAs, given the same paste, place and reflow processing parameters.  Given that the same things that cause voiding can cause shorting, we have a process problem that appears to be caused by a supplier process.

The packaging vendor claims the bad balls saw a normal process.  I need to tell them we suspect they are .....

Larry Jindra
Mfg Engr Group Lead
TRW Radio Systems
w) 858-592-3424