TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:32:58 +0200
Volkmar

Manufacturers of fluxes produce and sell a wide range of fluxes which
are sold as "no-clean". Some contain rosin, others don't. Some contain
halogenated activators, others don't. Some are very active and are
consequently easy to solder with, but leave more dangerous residues,
others don't, but are the devil to solder with. Some you can clean,
others you cannot.

To answer your questions: you have to select a shortlist of, say, 5
fluxes which meet your criteria, on paper. You then do extensive trials,
with various parameters (Taguchi is very useful for this, as you can cut
the number of experiments drastically). After having optimised the
process for each flux, you have to produce some test boards that you
need to qualify as meeting your requirements for reliability under the
conditions the boards will be used in (electrochemical migration etc.)
and for setting up your process for quality control. As a result of
this, you can select your #1 candidate and #2 to fall back on if there
is an interruption of supply. No one here can do your homework for you,
I'm afraid.

Brian