TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:57:21 -0000
Justin,

A good question. Number of BGA reflow steps:

1) Initial placement
2) Removal from pcb
3) Reball
4) Replacement on pcb

4 temp excursions. When this issue has been brought up before in this forum,
I do not believe that a written spec for the maximum number of reflow cycles
of a BGA was ever found. The specific part manufacturer might state
something... There was a rumour that Motorola specified 3 reflow cycles for
its parts, but I never saw anything in writing, and this may be an "urban
myth".

In the TechNet archives there is an e-mail from Axiom Electronics stating
"In all of the parts we have removed, reballed, and replaced, we have not
seen damage due to numerous reflow cycles." This was in 1996 tho... (Message
no 005489). There may be more info there.

It would be important to strictly observe the baking requirements as
determined by the moisture sensitivity level of the device. The reflow
cycles should all be to the correct profiles to minimise thermal shock, etc.

Declaring a commercial interest (as we sell this product), no customer has
reported issues to us.

I would be interested to hear further views!
Regards,
Peter
--
Peter Swanson            [log in to unmask]
INTERTRONICS                http://www.intertronics.co.uk

INTERTRONICS is dedicated to providing quality material,
  consumable and equipment solutions to the electronics
manufacturing and other technology based industries, with
   the highest levels of technical support and customer
                         service.