TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
Leo Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:40:44 -0500
Hello techneters:

An interesting question came up this week in one of our training classes and
I thought that perhaps we could get some input from you folks relative to
the statement in Section 8.1 of IPC-7711, paragraph 5, which states
"Caution: Do not use mechanical strippers on wire smaller than AWG-20, as
the strippers may stretch the wire." Being on the committee, I did not catch
this earlier but after reviewing some tensile strengths of various wire
sizes I doubt this is a valid statement to be used in this document. The
tensile strength of 20AWG wire is 34.24 lbf or 15.53 kbf, as determined from
the information derived from www.mogami.com/e/cad/wire-gauge.html

I doubt that we could exert enough force during the insulation stripping
operation to stretch the wire to the point where it would impact its
electrical carrying capabilities.

If you have the time, also check out paragraph (a) and (b) where the
implication or statement reads with the intent that all wires be stripped
with thermal strippers, unless they... "cannot be thermally stripped", then
mechanical strippers be used. Your inputs on the use of thermal strippers
would be appreciated, indicating whether or not they are used extensively or
rarely within your facility or industry based upon your background. We don't
see many uses of thermal strippers except for stripping Teflon insulation,
all others use some form of mechanical strippers.

Any thoughts on any of this would be welcome.

Thanks for your time and anxiously awaiting your input and comments.

Regards,

Leo Lambert
EPTAC Corp.