TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
Greg Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:48:33 -0800
Mark:
You can find several articles and conference papers on thermal profiling at
KIC's site:
www.kicthermal.com
The bottom line on thermocouple attachment is what ever works.  AL tape is
the simplest method, and is reliable and repeatable, but does not provide a
good method of attachment in some applications, for ex: BGAs, which require
drilling a hole through the bottom of a sacrificial board and using epoxy to
attach the TC.  High temperature solder is the standard method, but must be
done cleanly so as not to alter the thermal mass of the component the TC is
being soldered to.  There is a paper on our site that goes in depth on this
issue and provides a complete DOE comparing methods of TC attachment.
The IPC guide is also a valuable reference source that contains information
contributed by a cross section of soldering experts, equipment
manufacturers, and materials suppliers.

Greg Jones
KIC