TECHNET Archives

March 2002

Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:50:09 EST
Hello Wes,

Like BGA's and MicroVias you won't use single sheet until you must.  I would
continue note verbiage requiring 2 sheets until there is a compelling reason
to go to one.  Single sheet usage isn't bad, it quite good as a matter of
fact, but first the comfort range of "thin" needs to realized, then the one
ply.  And Wes we met sometime ago at the Boston Chapter of IPC (the former
Lockheed guy), I was in my Presidential attire (mostly dodging tomatoes, tuff
crowd in Boston).  In any case I believe you have heritage product using one
ply.  Contact outside the forum, email or phone, and we can compare notes.
The old "Military" required one ply, and in its day very deservingly.  It was
also related to the old argument of "Foil" verses "Cap" construction.
Requiring one ply also compensated for copper tooth and the ole "Wabash" rule
of thumb squish factor for when people like me were behind the controls.

Cheers,
Boston Brad Saunders
781 858 0783