TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
"Takach, Lou J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:11:02 -0500
Good Morning Technetters...

I need your input / advice. Our manufacturing facility has recently (within
a year or so...) switched to a new PCB fabricator. I'm now starting to get
complaints from manufacturing that our fabricator is having trouble
obtaining the 'non-standard' material that we are specifying.  First of all,
I don't believe that I'm specifying non-standard material, this is where I
need your input. Most of our boards are multi-layer, usually 4 to 6 layers
and we use FR4. We typically specify 2-oz copper on the internal power and
ground layers and sometimes 1-oz copper for the outer signal layers. Is this
non-standard? The fabricator says that they typically don't stock 1 over 2
copper. Maybe I'm missing something but I thought that the stackup could be
made of individual copper sheets of various copper weights as long as the
layer sequence was balanced.

All comments welcome...

Lou