TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:30:02 -0500
Earl,
1) There is no way that a good paraffin wax "works it way" into a solid
solder joint.
2) Are you sure that liquid high boiling hydrocarbons from a cheap wax (not
properly separated in the first place in the refinery) have left the wax and
slithered their way into mechanical switches and other moving parts on the
circuit boards instead?
3) If you really are finding hydrocarbons in cracked joints, then they
cracked first and then the migration happened.
4) You will note I used a lot of adjectives - good chemist "weasel words".
All bets are off if you have some weird, corrosive "goo".
5) Peter's suggestion and component warning were correct.  I would add the
usual safety cautions regarding proper ventilation and static spark
generation.
6) I think you mean methylene chloride (CH2Cl2).  You use that and are
worried about paint thinner?  Methylene chloride is a suspected carcinogen
and has a low boiling point (104F, 40C if I did my math correctly for those
of us who are not in the hegemony of the US, Liberia and Yemen who have not
gone metric  :)  ).   Of course "paint thinner" is pretty generic and it can
range from a mixture of hydrocarbons to mixtures that contain acetates and
toluene to those that contain some rather nasty ketones that I don't want
going up my nostrils (and into my liver)!
7) It sure sounds like the contact cement is more likely your villain,
especially since you can see its effects.
8) Anybody out there got a good suggestion for Earl with regards to
softening/dissolving (possible?) the contact cement?
9) I would worry about the effect of methylene chloride on some of the
plastics used for components.
10) You can buy some neat little batch reflow ovens from Tomken Industries.
http://www.tomkenindustries.com/reflow.htm They market a Techno HA-02 and
06.  I am sure there are others.

Hope this helps.

regards,