TECHNET Archives

March 2002

Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:02:44 +0800
Hmmm .... ! I wonder how many Technical Sanitation Assistants go to the
sort of parties where job titles are a major means of pigeon-holing
people/find out if they're worth cultivating. Besides, it quickly becomes
apparent that such a job title is pure window dressing and the real job
underneath is still much less glamourous.

I people are gullible enough to be impressed by such nonsense, I dispair.
If Reeds et al think they're doing anyone a favour with this 'up-titling',
they'll find its effect very short term, and people will either revert (or
be reverted) to their old, simpler job titles or be lumbered with a half
mile long title that does nothing but make the tongue tired (or tied)
having to say it.

An old expression involving silk purses and sow's ears springs to mind -
you can't make one out of the other.

Peter - just an old fashioned engineer from the days when spades were
spades and not horticultural medium excavators.

                    "Keel, Mike"
                    <mike.keel@SD-A        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    XIOHM.COM>             cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    Sent by:               Aero/ST Group)
                    TechNet                Subject:     Re: [TN] NTC this is a question
                    <[log in to unmask]        regarding employee involvment

                    03/08/02 04:38
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "TechNet
                    E-Mail Forum.";
                    Please respond
                    to "Keel, Mike"

What a co-in-key-dink . . .
the following came off the www today
Before you laugh ( this is HEALTHY )
And dismiss . . .
Please read thru to the end

'Up-Titling' Keeps Workers Poor but Happy [NL]Thu Mar 7, 8:49 AM ET
[PARA]LONDON (Reuters) - British workers are being given bigger job titles
rather than bigger salaries as cash-strapped companies try to keep
employees
happy, according to a survey published on Thursday. [PARA]
Examples of the phenomenon dubbed "up-titling" include a receptionist
rebranded as "Head of Verbal Telecommunications" and a window cleaner given
the impressive designation of "Optical Illuminator Enhancer." [PARA]"The
research demonstrates how motivational it can be to gain a prestigious job
title. At parties...swapping elaborate job titles breaks the ice," said
Paul
Rapacioli, director of employment agency Reed's Internet service, which
carried out the survey. [PARA]He said companies were using the fancy titles
as an incentive to retain staff rather than pay them more at a time of
economic uncertainty. [PARA]Businesses seeking "Stock Replenishment
Executives" were actually looking for shelf stackers and successful
candidates for a post as "Technical Sanitation Assistant" would find
themselves cleaning washrooms. [PARA]"Up-titling" seems to have won
converts. Of the 1,700 workers Reed surveyed, around half thought a better
job title would make them happier even if there was no change in what they
actually did. [PARA]"People view a grander title as recognition of their
contribution to the organization and feel more committed as a result,"
Rapacioli said.

This probably doesn't have any relevance
To anyone @ tech-net
Present company always excepted . . .

Best Regards to All

       M Keel