TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
"Thorup, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:01:20 -0800
Hello Charles, and yes, finally Friday!
We purchased an MPC-29 several years ago.  And yes, it was at a good price.
I certainly feel I got more than putting the money into something else (read
older - mainstream).  There just was no budget for a modern machine with
fiducial positioning.  I have had few problems with the unit, most of which
were "cured" by rebooting the PC.  The software I have is reported to be the
latest version available and unfortunately many utility and diagnostic
sections are just placeholders with no function.  It just wasn't ever
finished.
There is some support available from Lake Masden Inc. 14 Klein drive, Salem
NH 03073. 781/270-3285-877/469-3570. Brian Sprague.  They have many parts,
original drawings including manuals and can arrange for proprietary parts to
be made.  The computer is pure PC and, in my case, was as simple to upgrade
as transferring the program into a new Pentium, swapping the motor driver
and vision cards and firing it up.  The speed increase in vision aquisition
alone was worth it.  The original vendors of the motor driver and frame
grabber cards are still in business and produce cards that appear very
similar.  Lake Madsen states that the cards are readily repairable by the
vendors.  Although Lake Madsen has access to the original programmers there
is no support outside of negotiated "weekend" work.
Overall I have to say I was nervous but I don't regret buying it.
BTW, it runs one shift, five days a week and routinely prints 20 mil.
One caveat for your application.  While I think I could fit a 25" wide board
into the machine, the print width is limited to 24".  The original specs for
it do specify a 29" frame with a 22"x24" print area.