TECHNET Archives

March 2002

From:
David Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:04:04 -0700
Carl,

1. There is no "magic" number. The only way to find out is to test the product in chamber
     Accurate testing prior to fielding this product would have prevented all of this. The sooner you
     start testing the sooner these problems end. Designing or correcting problems using "WAGs"
     is very expensive.

2. Okay

3. Don't know and it doesn't matter. RTV is about as elastic as aluminum during vibration or mechanical
shock.
     It will tend to delaminate due to cleanliness issues and moisture ingress.

4. Yes, but there is not enough space to go through them and the synergistic reactions which occur.
    I will send you a copy of my paper "Avionics System, Reliability, and Harsh Environments"
    Even though it says "Avionics" it centers on Tropospheric chemistry and effects on electronic
circuitry.

As Phil pointed out use a parylene coating (.001 in thick), which requires a very clean circuit, and
seal that unit up better.

Your management must determine how much correcting this issue is costing and compare it to a
well managed testing program integrated into the design process.
If they fail to grasp this concept you should probably update your resume!

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC