ENVIRONET Archives

March 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:12:55 +0200
David

I'm not sure that this article is any more accurate than the original
and smells awfully of political activists. Cynically, it ststes that the
easily-obtainable waste is extracted in the USA before shipping. In my
local newspaper, one of the photos shows a Chinese lady removing the
deflection yoke from a monitor tube, for its copper. I would have
thought that this was a very easily-obtained and marketable waste,
removable in a matter of seconds.

One of the major problems, I believe, is that there is one major
non-ratified signatory to the Basel Convention on the Control of
Tranboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes (see
http://www.unep.ch/basel/about.html ). In fact, there are three
non-ratifiers: Afghanistan, Haiti and ... the United States of America.
148 countries + the EU have ratified it.

The Convention is currently editing guidelines on recycling and
reclamation of metals and metal compounds, specifically antimony (Sb),
arsenic (As), beryllium (Be), cadmium (Cd), chromium (only hexavalent
compounds), copper (but only some compounds), lead (Pb), mercury (Hg),
selenium (Se), tellurium (Te), thallium (Tl) and zinc (but only some
compounds), although some other metals are being considered, such as
nickel.  Electronic waste is specifically mentioned as falling under the
Convention and it would therefore appear to be illegal to export it in
an uncontrolled manner from or to Parties having ratified it. The 47
page draft document is visible at
http://www.unep.ch/basel/R4_webversion.doc . If anyone feels that they
may be able to comment on this draft, you have a few days to do so. This
document has an extensive list of references.

Best regards,

Brian