ENVIRONET Archives

March 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:49:10 +0200
Joe

Like all documents of this nature from ecopolitical organisations, this
has to be read with circumspection. These guys tend to extract the data
that suit their arguments from diverse documents and ignore those that
don't, giving a one-sided picture.

I'm not saying that they are wrong, simply partial.

I lived in Switzerland for nearly 40 years and used to go regularly to
Saas Fee, in the Valaisan Alps. Two large glaciers feed this valley.
I've observed the retreat of these two glaciers and I've been able to
compare photos taken in the early 1960s with recent ones (also earlier
ones taken by others, right back to the 1850s). In the mid-1800s, these
glaciers came down to the edge of the alp where the villagers grew their
produce, and there is an enormous moraine there, where trees (larch) are
beginning to become established. Today, as a guess, the end is 300 m
higher in altitude and 1 km horizontally. This is very striking. Another
such example is the Furka glacier which reached as far as the hamlet of
Gletsch 150 years ago (the name actually means glacier). Today, you can
hardly see the glacier from Gletsch. However, this is not universal. I
can't quote figures offhand, but I can quote a fact, which I should be
able to substantiate if I had time to do a little research. Not all the
Swiss glaciers are retreating and, in fact, a few are actually growing.
Notwithstanding, the majority are retreating. I quote this purely to
show that articles such as you quote are often too categorical.

Best regards,

Brian