ENVIRONET Archives

March 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:56:38 +0200
Ryan

No pun with current phenomena, but what you see on the IPCC web site is
just the tip of the iceberg of the work they have done. Surely you don't
want a web site that is hundreds of megabytes long with the full
scientific data, modelling algorithms, methodology and all the rest of
documents, which, in hard copy, weigh over 30 kg??? What is on the web
site is only a summary of the essential data, destined for
non-atmospheric-scientists. I personally know a number of these guys,
because they have worked with me on ozone-depleting issues and I can
assure you they are top-flight scientists with integrity. Furthermore,
all their scientific publications are seriously peer-reviewed. I would
rather believe this crowd than an ex-merchant navy bloke with no
scientific qualifications whatsoever. Now, I'm not saying that lay
observers cannot make any scientific contribution. What I am saying is
that this guy leaves me with a feeling of zero credibility. Anyone can
become famous if they shout loud enough, even if they haven't a clue
what they are talking about: look at ANY politician to see how true that
is.

I have been working too long (decades), as a non-atmospheric-scientist,
with atmospheric scientists, so I have perhaps become too biased with
their thinking. However, I have picked up enough knowledge from them to
understand what they are talking about. I am therefore able to judge
what rings true and what doesn't. In fact, I probably have at least as
good a knowledge of the subject as most lay persons, from my close
involvement with ozone depletion.

Best regards

Brian