TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:53:25 +0800
Hi, Jorge,

Which specs are you working to for your quality standard? That should
determine whether you have a defect or not. You certainly have an anomaly,
though. Can that solder tail be broken off (easily)? It doesn't appear to
be large enough to be causing, or likely to cause, any trouble if it stays
where and how it is. If it breaks off, that's more of a problem, and will
be a defect. What do these components look like before you start to
assembly them onto boards? Any signs of a condition that might attract
solder? Haven't seen anything like this myself, so can't suggest a cause,
but since solder doesn't stick to ceramic, there must be something else on
the chip that permits solder to wet beyond the component's end caps.

More clues would be good - Is it the same component type / part number /
batch number / position on board each time it happens? Are you wave
soldering these?

Peter

                    Jorge.Rodriguez@VAR
                    IANINC.COM                 To:     [log in to unmask]
                    Sent by: TechNet           cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    <[log in to unmask]>          Aero/ST Group)
                                               Subject:     [TN] Cap with a termination issue

                    02/07/02 12:23 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "TechNet E-Mail
                    Forum."; Please
                    respond to
                    Jorge.Rodriguez

> Technetters,
>
>       We've been getting a quality concern issue in some of the boards,
it
> happens on one of every 20 boards. We think is a component issue,
probably
> induced during the component fabrication, is this a defect or not? Any
> comments?
>
>       look at the pictures SMT cap1 and 2 on the web site:
> http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com/
>
>       Thanks for the comments
>
> Jorge Rodriguez
> Process Engineer
> Varian Electronics Manufacturing
> 615 South River Drive
> Tempe, AZ 85281
> Phone: (480) 968-6790 X 4258
> Fax: (480) 829-4000
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]:
SET Technet NOMAIL
E-mail Archives
Please visit IPC web site (http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm) for
additional

[This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you.]