TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:02:58 -0600
Hi Brad,

You mentioned the practice of printing solder paste on ICT test points:

> string of commonality is relative to test.  The HASL makes for
> one nice ICT
> pin landing pad where the flat hard oxided/tarnished (sometimes raggy
> appearance) surfaces are more challenging.  Some advocate inclusion of the
> ICT test points in the solder stencil.  It sounds like a good
> idea, although
> I have no first hand experience doing it.

I have been doing this for the last couple of years on both Immersion Tin
and ENIG boards and the manufacturing folks seem to be happy.  Well, at
least they don't curse my name while I'm in the room.  My thinking was to
protect the pad from corrosion in general with the ICT benefit as an added
bonus.  But I also liked the idea of covering up the tin on Immersion Tin
boards.  I know it has been shown not to whisker so this may be a case of
"belt and suspenders", but it makes me a little more comfortable.  Even
without the specter of whiskers, all of these alternative flat finishes are
thin and relatively fragile.  It's too easy for a small scratch to expose
copper and that's not a good thing.  My two cents worth, anyway.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC
tel 608.833.9933