TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:20:22 EST
Phil,

I disagree that there is a fair comparison of configurations here.  There may
be a "coincidental sizing" only by happen chance.  I get the feel of the
original question being the "age ole" question of what size round hole for a
square pin.  When the diameter is over sized for the corners it is to big
across the flats (especially true for rectangular pins; 55302 connectors for
instance). In the preceding case of a 25 diag in a 22 hole the is a problem.
The problem becomes large when it is not controlled.  Press fit connector
technology is very much controlled.

The "oops" configuration uses pin and body shape NOT intended to be press
fit.  The PTH diameter can and will fluctuate relative to tolerance.  The
installation of connector is anyone's guess.

The press fit connector technology have years of heritage in well engineered
systems configuration.  The PWB thickness, drilled hole, plating and finish
are all mandated.  The installation of pins and body are to a precise
installation requirement.  The pin itself has been engineered with material
and config to ensure reliability.

At the end of the day I would fly on the press fit connector while the other
configuration may work, more importantly it may not.

Boston Brad
781 858 0783