TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
"Mike Holst." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:12:49 +0200
Earl Moon,

Thank you for the response and input.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on what other people are doing, we
practice our craft in relative isolation at the southern extreme of
Africa.

We assemble multilayers on lightweight registration fixtures on
multiline pins, then 'spotweld' the edges (while still on the fixture),
to hold the layer / layer position during pressing (off the fixture). It
is assumed that the prepreg in these 'spots' has sufficiently gelled
or cured to hold their position. There is no use of heavy caul plates
/ pins etc. only 2mm separators in the press (with packing to
achieve correct time / temp profile).

This does work great up to 8 layers, OK for 10 but then gets a bit
wobbly from 12 up. I was hoping that someone else had already
done their homework on this one so that I could crib the answers
without having to do the hard work myself. We currently limit
ourselves to offer MLB's only up to 10 layers, but would like to go
the next step - customer demand!

Mike.