TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:58:11 -0600
Peter,

Sorry I don't have much time now to answer all your questions. Some I can't
anyway.

However, Steve's site has all the photos of this mess posted as CSP1 - CSP4,
Kester Reflow profile, Successful by Kerry profile, TI no balls CSP board
bottom, and the ones you are referring to. The TI CSP board bottom photo
shows clearly the mating male view where the balls came off and the balls
are shown in the pics to which you refer. The CSP1 - CSP4 images are the
x-sections with CSP4 supposedtly showing the thick IMC formation or so says
TI and Collins labs.

The C clamp photo no longer is up. I thought the folks here were only
joking, but they tell me 4 of 7 of these parts just fell off the board with
little or no interference.

There are several other BGA's on the board and one is a ceramic type that
soldered very well. TI supplied these parts as the X version. This means
they were prototypes and they admitted, after these occurences, one of their
suppliers, whatever that means, had problems with ball attachment - no joke
there.

We have some new parts in now. However, we are going to a new assembler with
older, but not X variety, parts. I ordered new boards as well so
solderability and other MLB issues will be resolved.

I do appreciate the careful observations. I'll talk more when more time is
available.

Earl