TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:34:38 -0500
Mr. Pollak,
High copper content in your solder can cause spikes... or amateur hand
solderers like myself are very good at forming spikes.  There may be other
reasons that some of our "older" regulars can contribute.

I looked in IPC/EIA J-STD-006 and it lists max impurity levels for different
elements, but does not give reasons why they are individually considered
impurities.  You may be able to find this info from some of the more common
reference books for our industry, the titles of which you can find by doing
a search of the TechNet archives from the IPC homepage.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion