TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:56:42 +0800
One more cent's worth is to enhance the board's own built-in test (BIT)
capability, wich reduces the amount of ICT tesing required.

Peter

                    Lucas
                    Paul-R32425            To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <Paul.Lucas@MOT        cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    OROLA.COM>             Aero/ST Group)
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: [TN] Circuit Test
                    TechNet

                    02/27/02 02:17
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "TechNet
                    E-Mail Forum.";
                    Please respond
                    to Lucas
                    Paul-R32425

Alan,

We too have the same situation as you do in regards to ICT of complex
PWA's. Our design engineers have not included test points, wide traces or
anything else that would allow for the in circuit testing of our boards.
Our boards are very dense in component population and use a mixture of fine
pitch, SMD and thru hole components on them. They are 10"X18" boards that
have 8 to 12 layers. As big as they are there is just no room to fit any
test points on there. That's ok because, the designers have no intentions
of going back and re-routing the boards to allow for this.

So we have had to compensate by finding an assembly house that has AOI.
They do 100% inspection on every board they assemble. When we receive the
boards we add several more components by hand and then we do a visual
inspection. After that we use a meter or curve tracer to check the power
planes for shorts between them and ground. Finally comes what we call the
"smoke test". This is were the board is plugged into a test chassis and
turned on. You will soon find out if you still have any shorts are reversed
components that you missed. Believe it or not this has been successful for
us in getting boards built and working. ICT is obviously much faster in
testing the boards, but not always more accurate or successful(Test
programs are never complete and constantly changing). One of the big reason
this works for us is because we have low volumes and a high mix(ICT is
expensive for low volume, very complex boards).

You have to balance the cost of adding ICT into your designs and to your
assembly costs against the cost of visual inspection and more labor
intensive test procedures. For us it was about the same cost and the
quality has not suffered by omitting ICT.

Hope this helps,

Paul