TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:27:50 -0600
I have also faced "requirements" like this several times.  Though is
achievable on lower complexity products, it is typically not possible for
the type of boards you describe.  Your boards are the specific test scenario
that led the industry to develop boundary scan test methods and the JTAG
interface.  They were invented to give visibility to buried or otherwise
unreachable nodes, thus making higher density products feasible.  They did
not come about to make test development easy.

It sounds like your Logistics Group is simplifying their own life and
covering their collective posterior at everyone else's expense.  This kind
of mindset is similar to requiring that every component specified has
multiple manufacturers and be in stock at multiple distributors.  While
these are laudable goals, if you take these as requirements, you will design
products that are easily manufactured and tested but are too large or
technologically backward for the end use, i.e. they won't sell.

This is a tough nut to crack because 100% test access is not a requirement
for assuring a conforming, quality product.  It is a requirement for
enabling someone to do their job without thinking.  Being conservative and
insisting on processes that you can stand behind is a reasonable starting
point.  When it precludes your achieving customer requirements, it's time
for _them_ to come up with some alternatives.

Complex, dense boards are challenging to create a test strategy for and
there is no avoiding it, at least with today's test technologies.  You will
likely have to use a combination of technologies to fully test your product.
The SPECCTRA router is a very capable design tool and there is no magic
bullet here.  IMHO, double-sided 12-layer boards and 100% test access are
incompatible.

Regards,

Seth Goodman
Goodman Associates, LLC