TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Bill Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:30:48 -0500
You should take a look at the Agilent web site
(http://www.ate.agilent.com/emt/index.shtml)... they look at testing issues
a a combination of AOI, AXI (xray), and of course ICT... with each of the 3
overlapping each other capabilities.  We run their AXI with our ICT on
similar boards that have limited conventional test access.

At 11:17 AM 02/26/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Alan,
>
>We too have the same situation as you do in regards to ICT of complex
>PWA's. Our design engineers have not included test points, wide traces or
>anything else that would allow for the in circuit testing of our boards.
>Our boards are very dense in component population and use a mixture of
>fine pitch, SMD and thru hole components on them. They are 10"X18" boards
>that have 8 to 12 layers. As big as they are there is just no room to fit
>any test points on there. That's ok because, the designers have no
>intentions of going back and re-routing the boards to allow for this.
>
>So we have had to compensate by finding an assembly house that has AOI.
>They do 100% inspection on every board they assemble. When we receive the
>boards we add several more components by hand and then we do a visual
>inspection. After that we use a meter or curve tracer to check the power
>planes for shorts between them and ground. Finally comes what we call the
>"smoke test". This is were the board is plugged into a test chassis and
>turned on. You will soon find out if you still have any shorts are
>reversed components that you missed. Believe it or not this has been
>successful for us in getting boards built and working. ICT is obviously
>much faster in testing the boards, but not always more accurate or
>successful(Test programs are never complete and constantly changing). One
>of the big reason this works for us is because we have low volumes and a
>high mix(ICT is expensive for low volume, very complex boards).
>
>You have to balance the cost of adding ICT into your designs and to your
>assembly costs against the cost of visual inspection and more labor
>intensive test procedures. For us it was about the same cost and the
>quality has not suffered by omitting ICT.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Paul

Bill Raymond, VP of Technology Development
Trenton Technology Inc.
1001 Broad Street
Utica New York   13501
Phone (315) 797-7534