TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
phil bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:53:06 -0800
OK, here is the background on this particular dendrite growth:

It is a field failure unit and upon closer inspection, this dendrite
follows a crack in the capacitor from one termination to the other.  In my
opinion, the crack was there first, and was filled with contaminated
moisture while the cap had battery voltage (5V) across it, causing the near
perfect dendrite to form along the walls of the crevice.

This CCA was produced on our no clean assembly line, of which the
cleanliness is monitored on each lot of boards produced.  We believe that
the solder flux residues are not related to this defect.  The soldering
residues do not migrate to this area of the capacitor.

The condensation moisture alone would not seem to be enough to have
generated this dendritic growth so we are investigating other possible
contamination that may have been present such as moisture dripping off of a
dirty shelf above, and also the component cleanliness itself.  If the crack
was there from the beginning then the contamination could have been as well.

We have seen shorts across this capacitor before but usually only as random
faint carbon tracks that are nowhere as defined as this one was.

This one is so perfect, it almost looks like an organic plant like a small
fern.

This is an ongoing investigation so all comments are welcome and I will
provide an update at some point in the future.

Phil