TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Roger Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:55:23 +0000
Hello Technetters,

We have been asked to produce circuit boards with solder resist defined
pads for flipfet devices. The pads are 10 mil in diameter and are
finished with electroless nickel gold. No solder resist thickness has
been specified. We are told that ultimately 5 mil pads will be called
for. My gut feeling is that it will be difficult to solder to the pads
due to the solder being unable to deform round the solder resist into
the hole.

My questions are: -

Are my concerns justified?

Is it usual to have soplder resist defined pads this small?

What solder resist thickness should be specified?

Would an alternative finish be appropriate?

Thanks in advance

Roger Hammond.