TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:35:39 -0600
IPC-4101A was released in January 2002

IPC-4103 supersedes IPC-L-125 and was released in January 2002.  Staff liaison for these two docs is Tom Newton [log in to unmask]

More info www.ipc.org/bookstore

Document Revision Table is on the site http://www.ipc.org/html/fsstandards.htm and click the document revision table link. I've just submitted more than a dozen updates that will take a few days to get edited in.  Check the date top of first page for latest info.  Documents are numerical order regardless of any associated letters.

Cordially,
Jack

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/20/02 05:14PM >>>
Two part question...  The first is relative to the beloved 4101; I think the
spec your looking for is actually the IPC-125 "Spec for Substrate of High
Speed/Freq" (or roughly titled like that).  Once you dive into the wonderful
world of IPC specs (I am not being sarcastic) you find directional guides as
well.  One such document is IPC-107 "STD for PWB Matl" it gives a title and
number run down.

Second part... Actually I don't know how to introduce "new" materials... and
shame on me for not knowing.  The IPC being technical based by industry
contributions (technical input) needs some level of "volunteer time."  To
that end I plan on attending the IPC west in March and being more ingrained.

The bottom-line, the material you refer to (4K series) is not in the 125 spec
(or any other).  It is important to call this type of material by name and
supplier due to it does not have a direct replacement that will not require
some amount of redesign or reengineering.  Even in a military environment I
use a "source/spec control" drawing.

Boston Brad