TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:19:01 +0800
Genny,

About 5 years is as long as you can store components and expect them to
still work afterwards. If they're "exercised" on a regular basis while in
proper storage (say every 6 months), they can last a lot longer, but it's
impossible to say how much longer.

If you can be assured that the components have bee properly stored and you
can use them up quickly enough, maybe he has got a good deal. I'ld check
their provenance pretty thoroughly first before buying, though.

Peter

                    Genny Gibbard
                    <Genny.Gibbard@W        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    AVECOM.CA>              cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST
                    Sent by: TechNet        Aero/ST Group)
                    <[log in to unmask]        Subject:     [TN] How old is old?

                    02/19/02 11:19
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "TechNet
                    E-Mail Forum.";
                    Please respond
                    to Genny Gibbard

One of the purchasers has asked if they can purchase some parts with a 2000
date code on them for 'a really great deal!'  The part is an 8 lead uSOIC
package
At what point do you say they are too old?
I would appreciate info specific to this package or, just in general,
guidelines for chip or standard SM components.  We do not use BGA's yet.
We
aren't trying to do lead free.  We generally spec 60/40 HASL finish on our
boards.
Thanks for your time.

Genny Gibbard (mailto:[log in to unmask])
Product Transition and Support

To temporarily halt delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]:
SET Technet NOMAIL
E-mail Archives

[This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you.]