TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:13:36 -0000
I can see your thinking, but an earlier poster was correct: although the
melting point of the solder is higher than the wave soldering temperature,
if the higher melting alloy sees the wave it will dissolve in it in much the
same way as say electroless gold (MP 1064C) on a PCB does.

If you still want to go ahead, be aware that there are a number of higher
melting point alloys you could use in the range 270 - 280C. These are
generally characterised as having a high lead content with smaller additions
of tin, silver, indium and so on to 100% according to the precise melting
point you are looking for. This high lead content means the joints will be
slow to form and dull in appearance. At the higher range you will be near to
caramelising the flux and if you need to remove it you may find (according
to the supplier) some difficulty in doing so effectively as it will tend to
bake on.

Because of the small usage of these alloys in wire form - compared to Sn63 -
you may not find they are all available flux cored and you will need to
apply flux separately. Here I would recommend you use a paste flux which you
can apply from a syringe. (ours is called Tacflux, other suppliers will have
their own names). This is less messy and more controlled than painting on
liquid flux and also gives you the opportunity to get more easily cleanable
or no clean types suited to the higher melting alloys.
You will need to use a decent iron capable of operating at the higher
temperatures and delivering the heat correctly without damaging the board
and pad adhesion, and pay attention to proper tip dressing and control so as
not to  get tip dewetting.
Alternatives might be to use a dispense solder paste and hot air repair
tool.

Good luck

Kind Regards

Mike Fenner

Applications Engineer, European Operations
Indium Corporation
 T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
 F: + 44 1908 580 411