TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
"Reid, Lorraine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:45:57 -0000
Can anyone point me in the direction of any investigations into the
potential for long term failures caused by inserting a thru-hole mounted
connector into holes which are slightly too small to fit?

We have a situation where a connector, with square pins, diagonal
dimension 25 thou, is being inserted into plated holes, finished size 22
thou.  The connector is then soldered.   The connector pins can be
forced in, but I am concerned about the potential for damage that may
not appear immediately obvious.  The board is 4 layer, so obviously
there are connections from the holes to the inner layers.  The obvious
solution is to enlarge the holes (not possible for this batch), but the
designer is unwilling to make changes unless we can prove that there is
a genuine risk of failure of the interconnects due to forcing the
connector into the board.

Thanks in advance

Lorraine Reid