TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:14:12 -0800
Dave,

I really agree with all you say - to the extent possible without your vast
knowledge and experience. It's really the warm and fuzzy suggestion you made
that has me concerned.

The company selling the software is a consultancy selling their reliability
wares. To me, they have a foot in the door each time they "give" away "free"
software of the type in discussion.

I have, and will continue to, informed my management they will have trouble
down stream if their customer continues pursuing the easy way to
reliability. They are quite aware of my position to the extent they want a
plan essentially to counter the claims made by the software consultants if
the customer continues its use.

I have such a plan and will implement it at time of all the product I did FA
work on while redesigning it using DFM/CE tools. When this happens, I will
provide all the evidence in my plan concerning not only the parts in
question, but the entire assembly. This will be based on industry data used
to construct documents such as several IPC types.

I am a quality and reliability hard case. I do not profess to compete with
fine folks like you, but I certainly can point to you as an example of
someone to call in if and when necessary. Sorry to say, I hope this does not
have to happen because if we in industry haven't gotten it close to right so
far, we never will.

Thanks,

Earl