TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:05:46 -0000
Antonio,

As a member of the IEC committee, we are preparing a new IEC 61189-5 spec
that shall be for "Process Characterisation". IEC = International
Electrotechnical Commission, to be precise: TECHNICAL COMMITTEE NO91
ELECTRONICS ASSEMBLY TECHNOLOGY WORKING GROUP 3: MEASURING AND TEST METHODS
FOR ASSEMBLIES AND ASSEMBLY MATERIALS.

The intention is to provide someone like yourself, with a specification and
procedure to help predict the end product reliability. As such it will take
into account all of the individual "wet" process chemistries and how they
react with one another.

The technique is based upon the latest Surface Insulation Resistance test
methods and procedures.

At present, you can refer to ANSI/IPC JSTD 001C and Appendix B (I think, but
Jack Crawford can correct me?) This will reference you to IPC-TM-650 and the
IPC SIR Test Handbook IPC 9201

Before I hear groans from everyone, the plan is to TRY and make this test as
easy as possible. There have already been a number of Test runs conducted to
verify this to be the case, using the outline protocol. Whilst most of this
cannot be published yet, I can give you copies of the work we have done as
presented to the APEX Conference, Lead-Free session in January 2002.

This new SIR test protocol is intended to determine the electro-chemical
compatibility of the finished assembly under conditions of accelerated
ageing. HARASS - HALT - HASS are different test methods that determine the
robustness of your finished product. If you want more info on this, please
let me know.

Regards Graham Naisbitt

Concoat Limited
Alasan House, Albany Park