TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Peter Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:41:00 +0000
If you are going to the trouble to hand solder these parts on why not fit
them after the wave solder process and just tack them on, applying a dab of
of rework flux first, then reflowing the solder that will be present on the
pads? Saves the difficulty of using high temp solder pre-wave, and quite
likely excessive solder on the joints post wave (the solder in your bath
will wet to the high temp. joints already made).  I have seen a similar
problem when tack soldering large multi way connectors with high temp.
solder pre-wave.

Regards,

Peter Barton

===== Original Message from [log in to unmask] (TechNet E-Mail Forum.) at
18/02/02 13:40
>Hi all,
>
>We are currently using adhesive to glue chips on PCB and then run the board on reflow oven
followed by wave soldering. After the reflow process we need to rework some
chips occasionally due to chip miss-alignment or missing. To do the rework
we have to remove the original glue, re-glue the chips and let the board go
through the reflow process again. Now we want to eliminate this loop by
using hi-temp solder wire (melting point 268-302 degree C) to solder the
reworked chips without adhesive, then let the reworked board directly go to
wave soldering with solder pot temperature around 245 degree C.

>Has anyone using this method seen problems?
>
>Eric

Peter Barton

ACW Technology Ltd
Dinas Isaf West
Tonypandy
Mid Glamorgan. CF40 1XX  Wales

Tel: 01443 425200                       Fax:  01443 436882

International Tel :  +44 1443 425200    Fax : +44 1443 436882

E-mail: [log in to unmask]     Website/URL:  www.acw.co.uk