TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:00:49 +0200
Jim

VPS or condensation soldering is, indeed, a good theoretical process
with, as you imply, its main advantage being asymptotic, so component
cooking becomes more difficult.

There are fluids available up to about 260°C, so that is not the
problem. The main problems are
a) the fluids are damned expensive
b) with much fluid vapour trapped under components, such as BGAs, the
losses (emissions) are not inconsiderable
c) the fluids, along with SF6, are amongst the worst "global warmers"
known to man, with an atmosperic residence time in the thousands of
years. The GWP of these fluids is about 10,000, that is that if you lose
just 2 kg in a year, this is equivalent to all the CO2 a medium car will
emit in all its lifetime. Apart from that, do you wish to have some
chemical you use floating around in the atmosphere for the next several
millennia, not knowing what is going to happen to it in the end?

Regarding equipment, the last machine I saw was of German manufacture (I
know they were built up to a year or two ago and they may still be). It
was a batch machine but, IMHO, it was not especially well designed to
minimise emissions.

Brian