TECHNET Archives

February 2002

Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:51:46 -0500
The answer to your question is.......it depends. (How's that for not
sticking my neck out?) As long as you use electronic grade silicone (RTV) as
I mentioned in my previous post, then there is nothing in the material that
will harm your board. Heck, when I was involved in building high voltage
power supplies for military applications we potted the entire board in
silicone to prevent coronal discharge (also known as lightning.)  Silicone
conformal coating is actually quite popular for certain applications.
However, what I think you are referring to as far as contamination is when a
board has to be conformal coated or potted with another material. In that
situation, any silicone on the board will prevent adhesion of the coating so
one must be very conscience of contamination issues. So, like most things in
life, there is no absolute here. It all depends on your requirements,
compatibility to the rest of the process and your individual process
controls.

Bob

Robert Barr
Manufacturing Engineering